SmokeLong Quarterly
top menu
miter
SmokeLong News  Subscribe in a reader
Literary News presented by SmokeLong authors and staff

Sunday, January 27, 2008
Blogging for Patry Francis
I first encountered Patry Francis a couple of years ago when she left a nice comment on my blog. Since then, I have become a huge fan of her blog (simply wait) and her writing (when I was guest editing SmokeLong, I asked Patry if she would submit a story and she sent me this gorgeous flash: It). Prompted by posts on LitPark and Laura Benedict's blog, today I am blogging for Patry Francis, whose excellent book The Liar's Diary is set to be released in paperback on 1/29. I read this book nearly a year ago when it came out in hardcover and here's what I had to say then:

You better set yourself aside a good chunk of time when you pick up The Liar's Diary (the stunning debut novel by Patry Francis) because I can tell you from personal experience that once you start reading, you're not going to want to stop until you've finished.

On the surface, this is a book about the seemingly perfect Cross family, living their slightly flawed lives out in the suburbs (the only flaw appears to be the superficial flaw of the son who is overweight) and the woman, the unwanted element, who enters their lives--Ali Mather. Below, the surface, however, this is a book about betrayal; it's about secrets and lies and years of abuse and denial and how all of these things if not uncovered and dealt with in some healthy way, can lead to disaster, which in this case, they most certainly do.

It is also about Jeanne Cross's awakening and her realization that she has been stuffing down her emotions for close to 20 years. As is typically the case with such repression, when the pressure cooker reaches its limit--it explodes.

Most heartbreaking of all, this book about errant mothers, abusive fathers, and lost children. And while there are certainly villans (Gavin Cross being the most obvious choice for villan, but Ali being cast as one as well from time to time), these villans are also human beings, who are damaged and hurting and acting out in the only way they know how.

I will not (because I don't want to ruin it for you) go into details of the plot (there are many surprises in store, though!), but I will say without hesitation that if you don't pick up this book and read it, you're going to be missing out.
posted by Myfanwy Collins at 10:35 AM  4 comments

4 Comments:

At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to get this book, Myf. I definitely want to read it after your review! Thanks for the reminder...

Kath

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

It's a real page-turner of a book, Kathy!

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Dave Clapper said...

Thank you so much for posting this, Myf!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

My pleasure, Dave! I hope her book sells a ton.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Writers, Editors, Publishers, Agents, etc.: If you have Flash-related news (readings, publications, etc.), please email us at news@smokelong.com. We'll try to get your news posted as quickly as possible.
miter
bottom menu