SmokeLong Quarterly
top menu
miter
SmokeLong News  Subscribe in a reader
Literary News presented by SmokeLong authors and staff

Friday, April 18, 2008
Elizabeth Ellen at 3:AM Magzine

Smokelong Contributor Elizabeth Ellen has three new flashes at 3:AM, titled "Broken," "Borrowed Time," and "Some Women Like to Travel." "Broken" is my favorite of the bunch, and includes this especially witty exchange:

"You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war," you said and I thought about how I'd already read that on the bumper of your car.

"I'm not preparing for war," I said, "I'm preparing for defeat."

"Either way," you shrugged.

I uncrossed my arms; let them fall limply at my sides. I wanted you to put back on the porkpie hat. Without it you looked too much like every other man I knew. I was no longer sure you were capable of overseeing the atrocities I wished you to inflict upon me.

As usual, Elizabeth's got killer dialogue and sharp narration to spare. Also, a gentle reminder: Her new chapbook, Sixteen Miles Outside of Phoenix, is now available as part of the collection A Peculiar Feeling of Restlessness, along with chapbooks by Amy Clark, Kathy Fish, and Claudia Smith.

posted by Matt Bell at 9:43 AM  0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Writers, Editors, Publishers, Agents, etc.: If you have Flash-related news (readings, publications, etc.), please email us at news@smokelong.com. We'll try to get your news posted as quickly as possible.
miter
bottom menu